Search This Blog

Friday, September 13, 2013

My First Open Studio

Last weekend I held my first open studio - through a group of artists called "Reno Open Studios".  I spent one day setting up my courtyard:
The entrance to the courtyard is on the right

I had a table with unframed works in bins and my portfolio and books, and notecards in a basket for sale.
oil paintings are on the right and pastel paintings on the left
In between the two set-ups of panels I had a small table with a guest sign-in and drawing for a 6x6 painting.
More pastels in the shade on the right and oil paintings that got sun on the left
At the other end, I had an easel to work and demonstrate pastel painting, and a seating area if anyone wanted to chat.
We were blessed with gorgeous weather.  I little hot in the afternoon, but with the umbrellas grape vines above, fountain and a couple of fans, it was pleasant.  I also had music.

I had about 60 people over the 3-day period and I believe that is pretty good since I am unknown and do not have a following.  I got one commission and made very good contacts for a possible future commission and some interested students who would like a class.  I sold quite a few cards (which I made myself - with photo images of my work on them).

Now I am taking little naps each day!  It was a lot of work to prepare for it - I worked on this for a month - and it really caught up to me!

1 comment:

ti-igra said...

Wow, Carolyn, I was even lost in space of your courtyard :) Looks AMAZING! Stylish stands, beautiful pastels in frames and cozy atmosphere! And weather is nice, I see - warm sun :)
Pity that I coudn't come to you, I would wanted sooo much!!!
It is so cool - you can teach students, I think it is time to do master classes, share your technic and style.
Congratulations, Carolyn, BIG HUG! :)
I am soo happy for you!