Search This Blog

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pastel painting en plein air - and finishing at home

pastel over watercolor underpainting

I was on a trip last month to Phoenix.  I hiked along a horse trail with my painting gear in a backpack.  The trail dipped down and crossed a dry creek bed.  Knowing that a horse rental stable used the trail, I stepped into the dry wash and set up to paint this view.

This was the first time I used my small oil painting tripod and pochade box for a pastel painting.  The kitty wallis board fit down into the tray holder, but blocked my use of pastel down at the lower edge.  So, if you look closely, you can see the watercolor underpainting of rocks down there.

When I got home I really wanted to finish this.  Finishing to me means more layers of pastel and adjusting values and colors and edges.  So here is my final version:

"Desert Horse Trail"  9x12 pastel

No comments: