Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

I found a new painting location

"Keyhole Rock Pile" 12x16 oil

I found a new place to paint near home.  It is called Sun Valley Regional Park and it is above Sparks, NV.  Way up on a hill with great views and many interesting rock formations with easy access.  The other day my painting group and I met up there and had fun.

My foot surgery went well, but I still cannot stand at my easel a long time.  It just takes time to heal.  I also have started painting on larger panels, which takes more time and more paint.  This is a 12x16 panel.  It is a good size.  I like it.  I don't feel so cramped trying to paint little things in a small space.  So, this painting was started en plein air and finished in the studio.

Here is my painting how I started it on location:

2 comments:

Ida M. Glazier said...

Best rocks ever! Really, very nice work! Looks like a great place to paint, love rock formation with distance going on and on. I like the color on the rocks, cool with a bit of warmth - -looks so real. I really like seeing your very beginning as well, and thanks for posting it. I am trying to do more PA's in Oil, but not so large! One day I guess!

Carolyn Jean Thompson said...

Hi Ida, thanks for the compliment! I hope to see you plein air painting now that the weather is trying to warm up!