Search This Blog

Thursday, August 26, 2010

"Creek Walk" a pastel painting AND "painting with thread" project

My first painting on white Kitty Wallis.  This was a little bit of a struggle.  I found the techniques I used on the PastelBord (for water) did not work on Kitty Wallis.  So I spent more time experimenting, finding a way to work. 

I have a little bonus show-n-tell.  First - a thank you to http://pintangle.com/ for listing me as one of the interesting blogs to visit!  Since Pintangle is a fiber and stitching-related blog, I will show a little stitching project I am working on.  It is of two macaws and I am showing a detail of it.  I am "painting with thread" to fill in the design.  It will take a long, long time ... so don't hold your breath to see this done anytime soon!  I must tell everyone that I did not design this.  It was from an iron-on transfer book I got in 1982!!!!  But I always loved the design and wanted to do a stitching project with it.

6 comments:

LIZ said...

The watercolor/pastel is coming along nicely. It looks very different from your usual. Must be the paper!
I look forward to seeing Mr. Parrot all filled in!

Euphoria said...

I see a lot of details and hard work!!! You should do those bright fishes on this paper!!!

Euphoria said...

I see a lot of details and hard work!!! You should do those bright fishes on this paper!!!

Ida M. Glazier said...

Your watercolor under painting looks really good. I think maybe if it felt differnt that the pastel board, try to use more w/c pigment, and a bit more water with a large brush. Remember a bright under painting is good for the pastle--and all those drips are easily hddden if you like. You are doing really good. I got an email from a lady in Alabama that is going to be at the Mekinnley clinic---Karen Margulies---she is also on the DailyPaintings website and is real nice, so You will get to met her!! Good luck!

Carolyn Jean Thompson said...

Thanks ladies, and thanks Ida for the tips. I will look up Karen.

ti-igra said...

Hi, Carolyn! I admire your pastels! The tree superb! These purple and blue shades in the shadows - a charm! You make great strides forward and this is great! You are working on details and it gives a sense of reality! By all means you are pastel whizz! P.S. I hope I did translate right the last sentence... ;-)