Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What do I have to lose?


After looking at the big watercolor of the canyon above our fireplace, I brought it down to work on again.  I realized a couple of things....

I didn't save any white paper (oh my!);
I created mud by painting complimentary colors over each other (OMG!)
and I roughed up the paper a little by scrubbing (ick!)

Since the colors were dead looking, I thought it would be fun to do pastel over it to see if I could jazz it up a bit. Above is just the lower portion of the painting.  I'm adding in the stream in the canyon (which I flooded like it was full of water when it was a trickle!).

Working large is a difference concept for me.  So, this time, I think I'll take it back to the fireplace to inspect at each stage of my work as it progresses.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a brave soul. Thanks for sharing :). I hope each trip to the fireplace passes muster.
Stay inspired!

Euphoria said...

Yes, sometimes it's necessary, in order to look at it again from a different perspective. I DO like it.

LIZ said...

Major improvements! The pastel makes it glow! Seeing it where it will live seems to work!

Ida M. Glazier said...

It a very good idea, I think, to place your work in your house somewhere where you will see it as you go about your everyday life---Things jump out, Ideas come, and you may see it so differently. I also think its a great attitdue, What do you have to lose?? Great because thats the way you get better!! Adding the pastel was a great idea, and so was working large!!! good work!

ti-igra said...

Dear Carolyn! I can see in second photo more: details, shapes, air around objects!!! And with another step we feel more. :) All under your control! It's good! I know how it is hard to work under big painting and I understand youuuu!

You are just fairy who always improves her magic skills!
:)))))))))))