Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Painting at Ida's


This morning I drove down to Ida's ranch in the Minden area to paint.  We drove up the old ranch road to the creek and then hiked in the rest of the way and looked for a spot to paint.

I started with an watercolor underpainting.  Sometimes I take longer at this stage.  Doing the creek was quite complicated, and I wanted a good base.  Next I did a loose sketch of the rocks with vine charcoal.  I haven't put much pastel on yet, but I started to in the focal area.  I can continue working on this at home.

Ida and her dog companion were too cute to not take picture!
Ida painted the creek from the other side, with a lower vantage point.  Here is her painting:

She really captured the browns of the rocks under water and the lovely green plants along the edge.

1 comment:

ti-igra said...

Hello, Carolyn and Ida (and, ofcourse, a doggy, whom name I don't know :-) )!
You have had such a lovely trip! All you are talented and nature lovers, so interesting to watch your sketches! They are very nice, with spirit of that beautiful place!
Waiting for your new painting adventures!
Enjoy the Indian Summer! :-)