Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Painting cattle...for the first time....

9 x 12 oil on panel

Yesterday two other artists and I went to an historic ranch called Silver Saddle Ranch outside of Carson City, NV.  It was a charming old ranch with cattle in different fields.  Some had given birth to calves already.

I worked with my new oil set up (oops - I forgot to post pictures of it) and it was much better than the French Easel.  You can see a little of my set up below:

I worked longer in the field - maybe 2 or 2-1/2 hours.  It was hard!  The cattle keep moving!  So I finished it today at home.  The only problem is...I think my cattle look like pot-bellied pigs!  (Kinda small).  The cattle in the background were real hard - they are just blobs, but they have to LOOK like cattle blobs!   Oh well....it was fun to try!  And I enjoy a good challenge.



2 comments:

ti-igra said...

Hello, Carolyn, your trip with friends was awesome!!! Cows! I love cows and I wanted to paint them! Now I'm watching your WONDERFUL oil picture and want to draw cows again. I love your painting so much, these grey in blu and warm shades in the cold colors of mountains, light ocher colors on the ground, - all looks very dreamy and very realistic!
:)))

COOOOOL!!!!!!!!!

Ida M. Glazier said...

You are really getting this oil plein-air painting thing !!!! This one is really nice. Your hard work is really paying off, I see great things to come!! And I really admire it. No joke.