Search This Blog

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Second time around

8x10 oil "Tracks in the Snow"

This painting was started last winter at Spooner Lake.  It just wasn't right.  So I came home and painted out a big bush in the front with grays.  Then, I did not get around to finishing it.

Last week I went up to Mount Rose Summit - to the Tahoe Meadows area.  It was a grey sky day, but lots of new snow.  The best part was no wind.  Although it was cold, I had brought out my old ski clothes from storage and the snow shoes.  I snow shoed up the hill where the families were sledding.  In an area of willows, the scene was similar to my old painting (which I brought along just in case).  So I set up and started painting over my old painting.

I had forgotten how cold weather stiffens up oil paints.  But I just thinned it down with turp.  I really enjoy painting snow.  There are so many colors in snow and it is fun to try different combinations of warms and cools.

No comments: