Search This Blog

Monday, January 25, 2010

"Autumn in the Mountains" rethink, revisit, revise...

After looking at this partially done painting on my easle for weeks, thinking, thinking, thinking "what does it need?", I finally came to this conclusion:  I had to remember what drew me to this view, what was remarkable, what was the most important thing.  Art teachers ask you "what is the painting ABOUT?"  Well, for me, when I was there, it was the sky. 

So I have started to emphasize the sky and make it more dramatic with more contrast to make it more important than the rest of the painting.  So, that is what I'm working on here, and also working my way down in the painting.  Sometimes when you change one thing, you change the balance of lights and darks, so then you have to try to adjust in other places too!

1 comment:

ti-igra said...

Carolyn, this is a beatiful picture!
This is a perfect finished work :-)
I love this landscape in your performance!
I really like the color ratio. Cornelian-brown and turquoise-gray in foreground... Mauve and ocher-warm in the clouds ;-)