Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Starting a Watercolor Landscape

This painting is going to have several layers of distance.  I started with the sky because it is the farthest away.  Usually I don't do the foreground so soon, but the water is reflecting the sky and I wanted to block it in so that it would relate to the sky colors.  Eventually, the water will be a little darker than the sky, because what I've been told in painting classes, the sky is lighter than the lightest reflection in the water.  Next, I blocked in the mountains, then I wet the paper and put in the background trees.  When it dries I can put in the trees that are in front, then the bushes in front of the trees, then so on and so forth.

1 comment:

ti-igra said...

Carolyn, at this stage your picture looks like a Japanese watercolor!
Trees are reflect in the water so nice!!!
Wow! :-) As even one world!