Search This Blog

Friday, January 21, 2011

More on "painting watercolor on aquabord"

Here are some detail shots of different areas of the peonies I am painting on "aquabord".  I am trying various watercolor techniques I am familiar with and have used on Arches coldpress watercolor paper.  It is turning out to be a totally different animal.  You do not get that look of paint that sinks into the paper, nor the soft, subtle self-blending of wet paint side-by-side.  Aquabord dries faster, so the self-blending is limited.  After I took off the liquid mask, I am re-wetting the hard edges around the mask and trying to blend the petals.  In the top detail you can see where I've done some of the outer petals.  I seem to be pushing the paint around on top of the board and getting unwanted streaks. 

I think it is like any new paper or product you try - you have to experiment.  You have to try different ways than you are used to - to get the effect you want.  This board is fairly large and it will take me a while - days - to learn on it and make this into a painting.

One more thing about this board - if I don't like what I've done - there is an option to put it under the kitchen faucet and wash it all off - and start all over on white board again!  Yes!  They claim you can do this!  Go right back to white!

3 comments:

Ron said...

These watercolors are great!

So are you the first to be on the Nevada daily painters?

Carolyn Jean Thompson said...

Hi Ron - Thanks! And, yes, I am the first and Ida is the second for our State - thanks to your blog about CFAI and how you joined. It is additional motivation!!!!!

Euphoria said...

Beautiful colors!!! I don´t use mask, but I do like it when I see it in your work. Please don´t wash these beautiful works!!!!