Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Today's Drawing - "Granite Niche"

12 x 9 watercolor, watercolor pencils, wax colored pencils

On my babysitting days, I work on two things - drawings like the one above, and pencil studies of fairytale characters.  The latter is because I want to illustrate a book for little baby Whit.  I figure I have 3 years to do it!  I have never drawn fairies, elves, giants, princesses and the like.  In my research, I found books illustrated by Brian Froud.  His work is fantastic and so immaginative!  He has several books.  I bought one called The Goblins of Labyrinth.  I also checked out some books from the library and am teaching myself by copying other artist's work as best as I can.  Because of copyright infringement, I will not post these drawings.  Once I am comfortable with drawing these characters, I will create my own for my own book, which I will use a self-publishing software for printing books for yourself, not for sale.  I have to admit, I am having FUN drawing these things!

1 comment:

ti-igra said...

Fantastic! Your Picture is so perfect! I am endlessly looks on it. Stones and color-live plants! It is so nice! I have no words, Carolyn!
And thank you so much you share with us so talented illustrator Brian Froud! Amazing! I found his pictures and I was impressed! Wow!
I am painting now one fairy portrait and it is gave a lot inspiration for me!

And I say again: your picture is delightful! :-)))