Search This Blog

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Lizard phobia? Painting on a plane...


After giving up so much art time to moving into a new house, I vowed to paint every day on our vacation, including on the plane.  I took my favorite sketchbook, photo references, watercolor pencils, and water container brush in my carry-on. 

Isn't it interesting when the passenger next to you tries to ignore you?  You go through 3 or more hours, never saying a word or exchanging a glance.  This young guy read his book and figited the entire time I worked on this iguana.  Every now and then he would sneak a glance at my drawing.  Either his book was creepy, violent, or suspenseful, OR, he had lizard phobia, because he gnawed on his fingernails for 2 hours straight, pulled at his shirt neckline, flung his arm out (kink in elbow?).  Once I went to reading my book, he played with his I-phone and finally seemed relaxed and calm....

The first day of our visit, we walked around and explored Harbour Town, Hilton Head Island, on the coast of South Carolina.  It is very, very warm and humid - very different from the hot and dry climate of home.  Here is the sunset from Harbour Town.


The next morning, we woke to rain.  It is from a hurricane off the Gulf of Mexico.  So we stayed in and I added watercolor to my Iguana.  The rain has now stopped, so we will go out and explore some more.

In case you are wondering, we saw these iguanas along the riverbank trees in Costa Rica.  It was mating season and the males turn from green to bright orange.  They are interesting creatures - lots of scales and spikes and detail - for my detail fix.

No comments: