Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Recent Paint-Outs

9 x 12 oil on panel

It is funny, the more I am playing with oil paints, the harder it is getting?!  I wonder why that is...maybe I am having more expectations than I was before.  Sometimes you just have to go with the flow I guess.  The painting above is from the most recent paint-out at Mayberry Park.  It was at 2:30 that we met and began to set up.  It was 4:30 or so when we finished.  The sun had gone down behind the hill, and the sudden change in light available made it difficult to see my values and warms and cool colors.  It was also too dark to take a picture.  Before packing up, I realized I had "made mud" with my colors, and lost my shapes.  So, the only way to deal with that (I have heard) is to scrape it off, or wipe it off with turpentine and a paper towel.  I did just that and left a ghost painting (below).  After that dried, at home, I re-worked it till I was satisfied (above).  I still think I need to practice a lot more!  Mixing paints is fun, but sometimes a challenge!

Below is a painting I did the week before, and it was done totally en plein air.  It is OK, but not totally what I was planning on the outcome to look like.  At least it is loose and I didn't make mud.

10 x 8 oil on panel

1 comment:

ti-igra said...

Hi, Carolyn! :D I was surprised, I thought again that this is a pastel :) but than understood - this is the SUPER WONDERFUL oil painting! :)
I love it so much, it looks very soft, realistic and dreamy! This yellow colours are like a burning light with contrasting blue in mountains behind.
COOL! And, so interesting to hear a story! I agree, for what I love pastels too, that they are already have prepared colours. In oil painting and big sizes of canvas it is too hard to mix similar colors again and again :)
And - I like second painting too, waiting your new stories, dear friend!