Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Step-by-Step Pastel Demonstration

"Light on the Peak" 12 x 9 pastel on blue/green Sennelier La Carte

OK, it has been a long time since I've posted!!!  I won't go into the boring details WHY.  I have FINALLY finished a painting I started about a month ago!  So, since you have been so patient, waiting to hear from me....here is a special treat:  a step by step demonstration of this painting from start to finish!  Woo-hoo!!!  This is your lucky day!

I started this project by driving over to Lake Tahoe to see a friend's art show reception and stopped for a quick paint from inside my car at Sand Harbor.  I did my quick paint in watercolor:
12 x 9 watercolor plein air
I also took a photo.  At home in the studio I started blocking in with pastel on a blue-green colored Sennelier La Carte support:
Next, laying in more pastel....doing a little blending to get it into the tooth.  I don't want much blue-green to show through because it will cool the picture too much.
...and more pastel...getting more definition of the fore and middle ground....

...and then....working on the trees a little and adjusting values between the fore, middle and backgrounds....
...and...now focusing on  describing the focal point - adding contrasting colors and values in that area....and softening other areas that call attention away from the point of interest.  Finding areas that don't work (like the right-hand peak took away from the main peak.  And, I'm done!  Signed!

1 comment:

ti-igra said...

Great done, Carolyn!
It is a time for inspiration for us! Woohoo!Thank you! :)

So interesting to follow your work, step by step - how you create layer by leyer with different shades of cool and warm colors.

Love it so muuch!