Search This Blog

Sunday, August 30, 2009

How to fix an oops in pastel paintings


After finding my previous paintings with buildings had crooked or sloped edges, I knew I had to come up with a solution how to control that before I got too far along in the painting. So, I came up with something I'll share. I do a full-size sketch, and then trace the outlines of the building and important parts of the landscape on a writeable transparent sheet with a sharpie pen. As I go along with the painting I can "check" my work to make sure I don't get too far off the mark. I don't want hard edges in my pastel, so I feather the background into the edge of the wall, and feather the wall colors into the background. In so doing, I cover up my outline! So holding up the transparency keeps me on track.




The house roof line (the purplish wall in the back) went way too high. So I held a ruler at the right angle and then blew off the "oops" part with canned air. (The canned air idea was not mine - I learned that from Margot Schulzke!)

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Who knew?!!

LIZ said...

Great tips! I hope I can remember them!