Search This Blog

Thursday, January 20, 2011

"Back at One" a watercolor painting

This painting is 9 x 12 on 140 lb Arches coldpress watercolor paper.  A couple of years ago we visited Catalina Island and we were waiting in a parking lot for a bus tour to pick us up.  Across the lot was a ticket booth for Miniature Golf.  An old golden retriever was sleeping on the ledge of the ticket booth window.  It was so unusual that I took pictures.  I've been wanting to paint this for a long time - it looked like it would be fun.

It turned out to be hard!  I'm very happy I finally finished this painting.  I had to work out some problems and make some changes along the way.  I decided to make the dog darker and backlit.  So I got to try my hand at wetting and scrubbing with a watercolor scrubber to lift out the tree and background that is through another window on the other side of the ticket booth. 

1 comment:

ti-igra said...

It's really unusual to see so!
This is an excellent illustration, Carolyn! I think that the impression remains a long time! And then they are appear! :-))) I love him - this dog is so kind and so cute in dream!!! Hihihhiiii :-)))))
Thank you for such cool mood, Carolyn!