Search This Blog

Monday, October 26, 2009

The Lion Pride at Duma Tau at the Linyanti Swamp


I finally finished these lions. I'm really happy with them. But I'm also happy I'm done with them. This was the never-ending painting! One thing I learned about transparent and non-staining watercolors was: when you wet or wash over an area you already painted, certain colors get disturbed and disappear. So I had to go back later and put that area back in they way it was. Other times I thought I was putting in a soft blended area and it dried as a hard edge. I had to go back and smush it around to blend it. Now that I think of it, I did a LOT of smushing! But the beauty of these paints is that you can go back in and lift out to white paper - which I needed to do around their muzzles and whiskers.

4 comments:

ti-igra said...

What a beautiful picture! I so like it! Lions becalmed. I like this smooth transitions and haze in the background :)
Indeed - all living!!!

Congratulations, Carolyn!

Carolyn Jean Thompson said...

Thank you so much ti-igra. I'm so glad this painting is enjoyed.

LIZ said...

I love the lions! This is one of my favorites of your paintings. The hazy ones in the background are great. You captured the expressions wonderfully. Good job!

Carolyn Jean Thompson said...

Thanks Liz. I liked your spooky kitty with the glowing eyes!