Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2012

"Textures of a Cedar" pastel painting

20 x 16 pastel on board

Well, I finished it.  It was interesting working much larger.  I found that I did the same size strokes as when I work small.  It is not like painting with a brush, where you switch to using a larger brush.  My pastel pieces are still the same size and many have worn down to little pieces.  Next time, I will try to make the strokes bigger.  It will help to not pick a subject with so much texture that I want to include as part of the scene.

Next time, I'll try BIG and BOLD!!!!  (that is hard for me!)

4 comments:

Euphoria said...

Lovely! Looks like the perfect place to lay down and read a novel.
My father brought me a box of russian pastels... I need some inspiration and I think I will find it in your blog.

Carolyn Jean Thompson said...

Thanks Kira! Wow, you got pastels! Have fun experimenting with them. Just remember, in watercolor we work from light to dark, and in pastel we work from dark to light!!!! Sometimes I forget. In this painting I did not have the lower foreground dark enough in the watercolor underpainting. So, in the previous picture, you can see how I really darkened it up with pastel. Then I added the lighter pastel on the dirt and rocks in the end.

Ida M. Glazier said...

Really very beautiful - -and I agree, a great place to read a book from!! Or watch the keebler elves!

You are doing some fine work, Carolynn!

ti-igra said...

Oh yeees! I agree with Kira and Ida M. Glazier :)
This Tree is a one from Big Letter :)
It has a power, very positive energy ad very strong :))))

I love it, love this place and all around!
I can breath free here :)

Oh, you are right, Carolyn, sometimes texture is very impotent, without it we can not feel objects and characters, specially if they are very different, as rocks and wood :)

Waiting for your new wonderful pastels, Carolyn!!!!!