Search This Blog

Friday, August 24, 2012

No more shows to enter....time to play!

I am having fun taking a break from painting pastels to enter shows....here is a watercolor I am working on:

Mojave Prickly Poppy is the name of the flower.  First I drew the shapes and filled in with liquid mask.  Then I poured, brushed, dropped in, various deep rich background colors.  Before it was dry, I used a spray bottle to spray some droplets of water on it, and it made little "stars" for texture.

Next, I removed the mask and then painted the yellow center with a light yellow wash.  After it dried, I did strokes of liquid mask to look like the stamens catching light.  When it was dry, I did a darker gold and orange wash over the yellow center.  I repeated this step so I could add another darker wash over again.

Next I started doing soft shadows on the petals on the right, and then I put a light wash on the background poppy that is in shadow on the left.

Stay tuned....more to come!

No comments: