Search This Blog

Friday, September 24, 2010

Practising on an old watercolor painting

In looking for watercolor paintings to frame for the co-op, I came across this one that was never successful in my opinion.  After studying it, I realized that it was all-over in focus, and that no particular area was the center of interest.  So, I thought I'd add a few pastel marks and see what I could do - and make it a Mixed Media painting.  First I cropped smaller so that it would fit in a pre-cut matt.

I practised "bridging" - the term Richard McKinley used - to glaze some pastel over the hard edges of the watercolor.  I also practised blending one edge with a piece of foam - to help the eye move from pastel into the watercolor.  I also made one area darker to make more contrast to build up a center of interest. 

I'm not sure I was very successful with my efforts.  But, practise makes perfect...

5 comments:

Euphoria said...

Those colours look amazing together.

ti-igra said...

Oh! I fell in love with this picture, Carolyn! This is something fairy-fantastic, dreamy, interesting and makes the brain to dream. It is like a wonderful world of foam and water and coral reefs - or may be it's underground city on Mars :-) Oooo!
Great!!!!!!!! :-)

Ida M. Glazier said...

Carolyn----your Brice Canyon looked interesting before you did your changes, and I hope you liked your changes. Sounds so interesting what you are working on, and thinking about! I would love to order that book as well, by Mckinley--I have Anee abgotts's, also a wonderful watercolorist. Went to a Gatied show this weekend, as friends were showing and got some great pictures of a Tennessee walker! Now to do something with it! Have you done your rabbit brush?

Carolyn Jean Thompson said...

Hi everyone, Ti-Igra - I forgot to say where this scene is from - it is a rock canyon in Utah called Bryce canyon. It is an amazing place. I will have to send you photos of it. Ida - looking forward to seeing you paint a Tennessee Walker! And no, I'm afraid I haven't done my rabbit bush yet!

ti-igra said...

Thank you, Carolyn! Fantastical Place!!! :-)) And your watercolour - SUPERB!!!