Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving! How about some pie?


How can I paint when there is food to prepare? So, I'll share a Pecan Pie recipe with you. It is my own alteration of an existing recipe - so I kind of made it my own. Here is what makes it different - less sweet gooey stuff - more nuts!
Pie Crust:
2 C flour
1 teas. salt
2/3 Cup and 2 T shortening
4-5 T cold water
Mix dry ingredients, cut in shortening. Stir in water, roll out dough to fit pan. This should be plenty for a deep dish 10" pan.
Filling:
2 eggs, separated
1/2 C brown sugar, packed
1/8 teas. salt
1/2 teas. cinnamon
1 T flour
1/4 C butter, melted
1/2 teas. vanilla
1 C dark corn syrup
1 C coarsely chopped pecans
1 C pecan halves
Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
Beat egg yolks, add brown sugar, salt, sinnamon, flour, melted butter, vanilla and syrup, beating well to blend.
Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry, fold into egg yolk mixture, and add the chopped nuts.
Pour filling into pie shell, arrange pecan halves on top in a nice pattern
Bake 350 degrees about 45 minutes or until center is set. Test by shaking gently. Cool.
Have a great holiday!

3 comments:

ti-igra said...

What a beauty! Yummy!!!
Ummm! :))))
Like the sun!
Thank you, Carolyn! If I find all ingredients in Kyiv, I will bake this cake home :))))
Thank you!
So nice!
I wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Mim said...

That looks and sounds just wonderful Happy Thanksgiving

Sharon said...

I learned the hard way this year that too many nuts in the pie is a bad thing. There is only so much surface area. It says 1 1/4 cups nuts, it means only that many nuts can cover the surface of an 9" pie. Believe it.